Thursday, July 28, 2011

Detroit jazz legend Wendell Harrison releases first new CD in 7 years

"Here's my thing," says Wendell Harrison, describing his personal manifesto. "People can help themselves. You can do it yourself rather than wait for somebody else to do it for you. That's been my whole way of life. I don't make a lot of money, but at least I'm in control of what I do."

Harrison, a Detroit-born tenor saxophonist, clarinetist, composer, entrepreneur and educator, is celebrating the release of "It's About Damn Time," his first CD in seven years. At 68, he's best known as a cofounder of Tribe, the legendary Detroit jazz collective that came together in the early '70s in a strong-willed act of African-American self-determination, connecting the dots between music, social justice and community building.
Read more...