Dida Pelled: A Missing Shade of Blue
Artist/Title: Dida Pelled: A Missing Shade of Blue
Label/Catalog #: Red Records 123326
Release date: June 17, 2016
01. Sundown (Wes Montgomery) 5:39
02. I Don't Need No Doctor (Jo Armstead, Nick Ashford, Valerie Simpson) 5:07
03. When I Grow Too Old to Dream (Oscar Hammerstein, Sigmund Romberg) 4:17
04. Take These Chains off My Heart (Fred Rose, Hy Heath) 4:43
05. Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash) 4:00
06. It's a Sin to Tell a Lie (Billy Mayhew) 4:04
07. Glide On (Jack Wilson) 4:24
08. A Little Walk on Jane Street (Dida Pelled) 4:10
09. A Missing Shade of Blue (Dida Pelled, Tal Ronen) 6:12
10. Blue Moon (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) 4:25
11. Five Hundred Miles (Hedy West) 5:24
12. Ultramarine (Fabio Morgera) 3:27
13. I'll See You in My Dreams (Gus Kahn, Isham Jones) 1:53
Dida Pelled, guitar (vocal on 6, 13)
Luke Carlos O'Reilly, Hammond B3 organ
Rodney Green, drums
Fabio Morgera, trumpet on 3, 6, 8, 12
Itai Kriss, flute on 3, 6, 12
On New York-based Israeli singer/guitarist Dida Pelled's third album (second on Red), she emphasizes her instrumental virtuosity more than before. Not only does she sing on a mere two tracks this time out, she includes pieces penned by a few jazz guitar icons, Wes Montgomery's "Sundown" and Jack Wilson's "Glide On." On two other tracks, she uses microtonal inflections and slides to evoke Hawaiian slack-key guitar, which is part of how she looks back at the blues (Hawaiian players were a big influence on early blues slide guitarists). Though the focus is on the blues, the repertoire comes from many styles: R&B, country, soul-jazz, standards.
Further in keeping with the blues theme of the album, Pelled works in the gritty format of the organ trio with two American collaborators. Luke Carlos O'Reilly studied with Mulgrew Miller and Bruce Barth at Temple University and has since recorded and toured with Curtis Fuller, Slide Hampton, Nicholas Payton, Fred Wesley, Steve Turre, Musiq Soulchild, and many others. At the age of 19, drummer Rodney Green joined Diana Krall's band for two years; among the many other highlights on his gig résumé are Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Ravi Coltrane, Charlie Haden, Michael Brecker, and Abbey Lincoln. Special guest Fabio Morgera, the great Italian trumpeter, adds his talents to four tracks.
Pelled will celebrate the album's release at her concert at Fat Cat Jazz Club, 75 Christopher Street, New York on Friday, June 17 at 6pm.
"...her guitar playing, which is built on her round sound, strong comping skills and soulful single note solo lines, places her in a category all her own."
- All About Jazz
"Pelled is one of the brightest new stars on the jazz horizon. Hot stuff."
- Midwest Record
"...her one of kind sound—steeped in tradition while residing deep in a dream—mark her as an artist deserving greater attention."
- All About Jazz, Dan Bilawsky