Friday, November 2, 2018

CANADA: Vickie Van Dyke & Davor Jordanovski-Under the Influence (2018)


Vickie Van Dyke & Davor Jordanovski | Under the Influence

A note from Vickie van Dyke: When my mother Sarah Dyck entered Hospice Wellington in November/2017 my family truly had no idea what to expect. We knew it would be a tough road. We hoped the hospice experience would ease the pain of the journey. Indeed it did. Not only did the wonderful staff and volunteers help soften the sting, they daily brought smiles to our faces and serenity to our hearts. From the compassionate and caring support staff to the welcome nourishment from the kitchen to the beautiful volunteers offering everything from tea and cookies to massages, each new day brought more peace and acceptance. And love. I still remember sitting with my sleeping mom one evening and I guess I was crying because when a volunteer walked in she immediately said "Do you need a hug?" And yes, I most surely did. "Under The Influence" is my way of saying thank you. To my mother for raising me in a house filled with music and to to Hospice Wellington for making the final days of her life so very gentle. It is my most sincere hope that this tribute to some of the great dames of jazz (Peggy Lee, Julie London, Sarah Vaughn, Nancy Wilson, Billie Holiday) - with one original tossed into the mix - will not only help to raise much-needed funds for this special place but also raise awareness of the vital necessary services they provide. ALL proceeds from the sale of this CD and from streaming and downloads will go directly to Hospice Wellington. Every single penny. Together you and I can make a difference, much in the same way that Hospice Wellington had such a profound impact on my life. Many thanks to Seven2Six Real Estate, Arpies Hair & Beauty and WAVE.fm for their kind and generous support of this project. And also to my many friends and fans who helped get it off the ground. Heartfelt gratitude to Davor Jordanovski, producer, musical partner and jazzy genius. None of this could have happened without him.