Tuesday, July 11, 2017

USA: Roxy Coss News

HAPPY SUMMER!

Downbeat Critics Poll "Rising Star" List, Playboy Jazz Festival, Summer Composer's Residency, and new "Chasing the Unicorn" dates!

I hope you are off to a great Summer season. I am extremely excited to announce I have been included for the fourth year in a row on the Downbeat Critics Poll list for "Rising Star Soprano Sax"! I am so thankful for the critics who voted for me, and honored to be included amongst some of my greatest role models and most accomplished peers.

I had a great time last month playing at the Hollywood Bowl for the first time with DIVA for the Playboy Jazz Festival, before taking some time to spend with family.

Now, I am embarking on a self-inflicted, home-based, solo venture: a Summer Composer's Residency, through the rest of July and August. So, you can expect to hear a lot of new music from me soon!

In the meantime, I'm gearing up for a few more "Chasing the Unicorn" gigs through the end of the summer, including my debut at the San Jose Jazz Festival as part of  a Posi-Tone All-Star group also featuring trumpeter Josh Lawrence and pianist Art Hirahara, with Noah Garabedian on bass and Malachi Whitson on drums. We're playing two nights at the Black Cat in SF (August 9-10) before we hit the festival, performing at Cafe Stritch in San Jose (August 11). I'll also make my debut at Rockwod Music Hall in NYC (August 30) . Hope to see you at one or more of these shows!

By the way, have you heard my new Posi-Tone Records album, "Chasing the Unicorn" yet? Downbeat says it "mixes musical sophistication and know-how with an inherent listenability". You can order signed copies NOW through my website, with free shipping! (Or you can download a digital copy from iTunes here.)

As always, I want to say a BIG thank you for your continued support and friendship!
- Roxy