Saturday, May 21, 2016

USA: Mark G. Meadows - To The People (2016)


01 Stay Woke 04:31
02 To The People 04:44
03 What's Going On 04:35
04 Know Now 04:28
05 Dash (Live) 01:31
06 Live To Look Back 05:23
07 Four Women (Interlude) (Live) 04:00
08 Intro 00:56
09 A Chorus Of Action 08:30
10 What Would You Do 06:13
11 What Would You Do (Reprise) 01:12
http://markgmeadows.com/
http://markgmeadows.com/


Album Notes
Recently named both “Artist of the Year” and “Composer of the Year” by Washington DC’s City Paper, Mark G. Meadows continues to make an impression on the DC jazz scene as an accomplished jazz pianist, vocalist, composer, and jazz educator.

From August 7-September 11, 2016, Mark will make his acting debut as Jelly Roll Morton in the DC premiere of Jelly's Last Jam at Signature Theatre. Mark's piano and vocal chops are a natural fit for the role of one of the most legendary and notorious jazz figures.

In 2014, Mark released his second album, Somethin’ Good, which received worldwide acclaim. Mark’s performances reflect his versatile musical background, encompassing jazz, R&B, gospel, and rock, to interconnect every walk of life. Mark’s newest project, To the People, reflects his passion for social justice. Through lyrics, harmony, and improvisation, Mark's message is simple: to bring love, peace, and understanding to the people.

Mark has appeared alongside world-renowned musicians such as Bobby McFerrin, Kendrick Lamar, Nicholas Payton, Kurt Elling, and Warren Wolf. He has headlined premier clubs in the northeast region including Jazz at the Lincoln Center, Blues Alley, The Kennedy Center’s Millennium Stage, Small’s Jazz Club, The Strathmore, Bohemian Caverns, Bethesda Jazz & Blues Supper Club, Twins Jazz, The Metropolitan Club, An Die Musik, and more. Mark has recently begun to perform internationally in areas including Qatar, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Canada and The Caribbean.

Mark also teaches as an adjunct instructor at the Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington, D.C. He directs and arranges for “The Mellow Tones”, a jazz vocal ensemble who is featured on his latest album and recently opened up for Kendrick Lamar and the NSO at the Kennedy Center.

See for yourself how Mark uses his gifts, experiences, and passion to create a unifying sound that breaks through social barriers.


"The Movement"

Mark G. Meadows / piano, keyboards, vocals
Nicholas Payton / trumpet (tracks 1 & 9)
Carroll (CV) Dashiell / drums
Romeir Mendez / bass
John Lee / guitar
Deacon Izzy / rap, vocals
Rochelle Rice / vocals
Brent Birckhead / alto sax (tracks 2, 5, & 9)
Elijah Jamal Balbed / tenor sax (track 5)
Jonathan Michel / bass (tracks 6 & 10)



Liner Notes for "To The People"

In the past few years, my travels, my conversations with friends, and life experiences have really opened my eyes to the world in a new way. I truly believe we are living through monumental times. If you’re unaware of the polarizing social climate rising before our eyes, then hopefully this album will inspire you to see things a little differently; the process of creating it has done so for me.

My entire life, I have been surrounded by support, love, and guidance. I write these songs not because I have lived a disenfranchised life, but because I can’t imagine where I’d be if it weren’t for people like you, taking the time to invest your energy into my life. There are far too many people to thank, so I’ll be brief and say to my family, friends, fans, and the amazing networks I have been fortunate enough to be a part of: thank you for fueling my passion, my drive, and my spirit.

I don’t have all of the answers, but I pledge to do my part by spreading love, peace, and understanding to all. When you look back on these times, will you look proudly on your stance, beliefs, and actions? Will you be able to tell your grandkids of your voice in the movement, or will you feel ashamed that you sat idly and watched it all go by? I hope you join us and bring about change to the people.