Tuesday, March 15, 2016

USA: Laurence Hobgood Trio-Honor Thy Fathers (2016)

Laurence Hobgood Trio | Honor Thy Fathers 

On Honor Thy Fathers, knowing that I’d have the full power of New York’s legendary Sear Sound, and that I’d have the opportunity to tap the seemingly limitless talents of two of the most amazing musicians on the planet, John Patitucci and Kendrick Scott.

Each track on Honor Thy Fathers is inspired by and dedicated to one of my heroes; in some instances, like Oscar Peterson or Wayne Shorter, gentlemen with whom the listener is no doubt familiar. In others, such as my compositional mentor Salvatore Martirano or my own father, Burnet Hobgood, their influence is inevitably more direct and personal. I’ve tried to reflect these “honoree’s spirits” while remaining true to my own expressive palate.